2nd June 2022
Herpes Simplex Virus – apparently most of you have got it, even if you didn’t know anything about it. But is this really true?
What actually causes cold sores and genital herpes?
Let’s take a deep dive into the science behind these claims, including the 1920 experiments that are the basis to the whole virus transmission story.
⚠️WARNING⚠️ Images of 1920s genitalia coming up!
- WHO, “Herpes simplex virus”
- “Genital Herpes – CDC Fact Sheet (Detailed)”
- “Genital Herpes”, in King Holmes, et al., Sexually Transmitted Diseases, New York, McGraw-Hill, 1984.
- Lipschütz, “Untersuchungen über die Ätiologie der Krankheiten der Herpesgruppe (Herpes zoster, Herpes genitalis, Herpes febrilis)” (Studies on the etiology of the diseases of the herpes group), 1921
- CDC, “Negative Staining Electron Microscope Protocol for Rash Illness”
- Dr Sam Bailey, “Electron Microscopy and Unidentified ‘Viral’ Objects”
- “Comparative studies of types 1 and 2 herpes simplex virus infection of cultured normal keratinocytes”, 1995
- “Thermo Scientific™ IMAGEN™ Herpes Simplex Virus (HSV) Kit using Direct Immunofluorescence Assay”
- Dr Tom Cowan, “Live Q+A Webinar From May 27TH, 2022”